Wednesday, May 28, 2014

What Advice Would You Give Yourself at Graduation?

Graduation
What an exciting, and a little scary, time for graduates. As graduation's are underway, I cannot help but reflect on what has happened in my life since graduating from college. My life has taken so many different paths, planned and unplanned, that I cannot help but ask the question: what do I wish I’d known before graduating?

As I ponder that question, I must confess there is nothing I wish I’d known prior. A dare devil of sorts, packing my bags and moving to New York was one of the best life decisions I could have made for myself  along with the lessons it brought, both thrilling and somewhat challenging, were worth every moment! It is here I think back to the book, Oh The Places You’ll Go by Dr. Seuss, because that is what life will be. You will have your good and your bad times, whirl winds and tidal waves, but in the end, I hope you will see the lessons life has given to help you become the person you were meant to be.

If I could offer any advice to any graduate I would encourage them to travel, to explore, and to have as many adventures as possible. Do not worry about what others think, do your best, and dare to try something new. Do not be afraid to fail when going after your dreams because failure is a part of life. In the words of J.K. Rowling, “It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might has well not have lived at all, in which case you have failed by default.”

What advice would you give your 22 year old self?


No comments:

Post a Comment