Image by Sasa_eh
One of my favorite things to do to get the year started on a creative note is to reinvent my shelves. There is nothing like taking down the clutter and allowing your artistic side out. But if you are anything like me, getting your shelves to look just right is sometimes easier said than done.
It can be tricky to find that perfect balance, but here are some simple ideas to keep in mind:
• Keep It Simple—this is a great time to go through the shelves and get rid of the items you no longer love or make you happy
• Change Things Around—customize your shelves by laying books horizontal to build height and add colorful pieces of artwork…perhaps an interesting piece you collected in your travels
• Decorative Boxes—incorporate boxes and basket throughout your shelves. Not only do these add a new element to your scheme, but are a great way to increase storage
• Wallpaper—make your bookshelf pop with an interesting design by wallpapering the back area of your bookshelf. Not a fan of wallpaper? No problem, use paint instead to give that backdrop a splash of color
• Accessories—integrate plates, pictures or artwork to add dimension
Remember there is no wrong way to do a bookshelf and have fun. This is your chance to let your creativity flourish.